Skip to main content

Notifications

Announcements

Dynamics 365 Community / Forums / Finance forum / Can't edit - NoOfDecim...
Finance forum
Suggested answer

Can't edit - NoOfDecimals in Std Real EDT

editSubscribe (2) ShareShare
ReportReport
Posted on by 55

Hi all,

We're facing an urgent requirement from the client side regarding the production picking list. The customer enters consumption quantities with more than two digits after the decimal point (e.g., 1.098765), but the system only displays two digits after the decimal point. The client wants to see the exact value they have entered.

I attempted to change the /NoOfDecimals/ property in the /UnitQty/ Extended Data Type (EDT), but I couldn't edit it. How can I achieve this?

Additionally, I received a suggestion to use a customized EDT instead of the standard EDT. Would this approach be acceptable?

Your urgent assistance on this matter is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

• Layan Jwei Profile Picture
    Layan Jwei 3,011 Super User on at
    Hi Devidurga,

when you say the issue persists in all places, then do you mean you only want the change to happen in one place only without affecting others? did you try to change the property on the form control instead? there are some properties to decimals but i'm not sure if they will help.

In general, it's not recommended to do the change on standard edts as it will affect all places. unless it's ok from your end. 
    Creating a new EDT is a better option but maybe in your case it won't be feasible
  • Can't edit - NoOfDecimals in Std Real EDT

The issue arises when the user enters a value in the picking list, for example, 1.000987. This value needs to be deducted from inventory, and the same quantity needs to be reflected in costing. Additionally, the same functionality is required in the adjustment journal and movement journal as well.

I referred to the document provided ( https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/dynamics365/fin-ops-core/dev-itpro/extensibility/decimal-point-precision), and I extended the "ProductQuantity" and "BOMProductQuantity" accordingly, changing the "NoOfDecimals" size as needed. This adjustment now meets the customer's expectations.

However, the problem persists in all places where the quantity is displayed. For example, in the sales order quantity, it is showing as 7.900000.

• Suggested answer
    Deepak Agarwal Profile Picture
    Deepak Agarwal 127 on at
    Please help me with some more details, it is just user want to see the actual value or its also going to impact the further calculations. By default std EDT can support only two decimal, and thats non editable. 
    If its just to see, better to add new field and populate it with user inputs, while std fields will still work with 2 decimal and all respective calculations. 
  • Suggested answer
    Hana Xue Profile Picture
    Hana Xue Microsoft Employee on at
    Hi,
    You can check out the old thread with similar issue to this one and try to create a new EDT. Hope it will give you some hints. Solved: Show 5 decimal places in Purchase Order Form (dynamics.com)
    Best Regards,
    Hana
  • Suggested answer
    BillurSamdancioglu Profile Picture
    BillurSamdancioglu 13,199 Super User on at
    I would advise you to use per quantity functionality for this kind of an issue.
  • Suggested answer
    Waed Ayyad Profile Picture
    Waed Ayyad 2,375 on at
    Hi,

For the UnitQty EDT, if the extends property isn't set on this EDT then you can change number of decimals it, but you should know that if you changed it, it would affect all references uses the same EDT. You can do you using extension. 

Creating new EDT if you are working on Field I think create new EDT it will be better as UnitQty  may have a lot if references on the system.

Thanks,
    Waed Ayyad
    If this helped, please mark it as "Verified" for others facing the same issue

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Take the Community feedback survey!

Answer this brief 15-question survey about your Community experience…

Demystifying Copilot: Service Edition with Sundar Raghavan

Sundar answers more questions about Copilot for Service...

Dynamics 365 Business Central vs Finance and SCM

Take a look at the key differences between Business Central and…

Leaderboard

Andre Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

Andre Arnaud de Cal... 283,324 Super User

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 223,096 Super User

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,140

Featured topics

Product updates

Dynamics 365 release plans